Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Reaching more places!

Dear Friends & good people of the world, initially we expected to help only 2 villages as they are the ones we thought & could assist but now news of help has spread surrounding villages as well and they would need help too. Also due to some generous donors, I with your help am able to raise final total so far 13707.22. and still continuing to grow. We are including 2 more villages (200 more families.) This is huge for me and my heartfelt gratitude to you all.

Nepal South Asian Tai-Chi Gold Medalist Ang Babu Lama
So far our help has been concentrated on basic essentials such as soap, lentils, salt, chilly peppers, mattress, cooking oil for every  family in these villages; Gohore, Ichok, Ghopte Ghyang, Nalung Kharka, Dhunge, Manegeru, Dhapsung, Dakpa Kharka, Nima Dombo, Tartong, Ribarma and more villages are being added. This list is being prepared based on the villagers need and volunteers's suggestion.. Initially we were providing rice but some other Buddhist organization has stepped up to the plate so we changed our tactics to maximize the resources for the people. These items are what actually they need at this time or always. These essentials have been part of the lifestyle in the remote part of Nepal.

This is beyond I have ever imagined, I needed to help or I could. This is all possible due to generous people like you. I will update the blog as things progress. Purnima my sister the organizer of this relief effort has received all of the funds except some still continuing.  There are still funds being received on and off line. Although, my goal has exceeded there is much to be done in these villages. If we have funds left over from this relief package, our goal will be concentrated on repairing of three schools at first the Ichok Primary School, Jyambeyang Primary School and Dhapsung Primary School. These schools get very basic funds from the Government and we would like to help, if we can.
My sister Purnima carrying her baby & organizing 
My first ever School was Ichok Primary School, where I spent 6 years of my childhood walking barefoot everyday up and down the hill. Then my father realized it is too difficult for the other village children so he started a basic school in the village on volunteer basis, later that very school became Jyambeyang Primary School and Government registered with 2 teachers up to 5th grade.


Dhapsung Primary School in 2007

My wife Kim with the villa
After I graduated my 5th grade. Then I moved to lower village of Gohore to go to school further down by the river. My father had made arrangements for me to stay with the family that dad knew. There I stayed with a family for 5 years until I graduated my 10th grade from Shree Saraswoti Secondary High School. I spent 5 years of my life living with a family. At that time, there was no electricity, no bus service, no cellphone, no TV. Our toys were dirt, rocks, sticks. Our play ground  were terraces. 

The family I lived with for 5 yrs. 
All schools have a dress code, which is sky blue shirt, and navy blue pants if you can afford otherwise just shorts. I had pair of shirts and pair of shorts and pants for the whole year. We all walked to school everyday, it would take 1 & half hour to get to school and during monsoon we cross rivers via hanging bridges and it would lengthen our time by 1/2 hour. Some of these hanging bridges had missing wooden pieces so we had to jump and be careful. At times, I have dropped my books in the river as we carried our books in hand most of the time. Very few children would have umbrellas but most would have a polythene bag like a trash bag over our head. Shoes were luxury item so we all used flip flops, until it broke or hole in them. It was simple yet we used our resources fully. We ate basically 3 meals a day. In the morning before we went to school and as soon as we got back from school, we would eat light snack and then meal before dusk. It was not my home so I couldn't ask a much, I ate what I was given. Felt as if I was never full but it is what it is. There were not a lot of choices either, it was rice, lentils, milk sometime, corn bread, millet bread etc. However, every meal contained salt & chilly pepper. Life style has not changed much since I left my village but I see they have electricity, cellphones and roads. But I hear all of these facilities are down due to this earthquake. Back then I used to read books and do homework during day light and at night we studied under a kerosene lamps. Now, I look back and feel nothing but grateful that I had to go through it because I see now the value of my time over there. Therefor, I have nothing but respect and love for the people who has given me such an opportunity to get this far. I always felt, I need to give back to the village and people but never was there any opportunity that I could. Few times, I have provided school supplies with help of my friends and myself but very minuscule. I always wanted to do more for the people.  

My buddy Purna Bahadur with his two kids and village kids. 
Even if I couldn't do much for the people of these villages during their happy times at least I am giving small token of support from the support I collected from friends & friends of Nepal. This is the time they need me the most. I hope they are okay because the damages from the April 25th earthquake is vast, incomprehensible and on top the May 8th earthquake 7.3 rector scale, there is no report yet from the villages. This new tremor has put a damper on our effort to get the supplies to the villages. But we are ready to get things moving. Within days, we will be distributing the above mentioned supplies for every family. 

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for the love & support you have showed us. You have made a difference in the lives of many. I assure you they will forever be grateful for your support. I have inserted below link regarding the latest news from Nepal. Thank you

Much peace & happiness to you all.
Prem Lama

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32701385

No comments: