Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Next in line of project

Dear friends, Namaste & greetings.

This is the school I attended when I was little.
you may have been wondering what is happening after all these chaos & activities? Nepal still gets frequent after shocks and rumor of the further tremor does not help either. Due to these embedded fear of earthquakes people just begin to believe even such rumors when we do not effective means of information, though Government news agency blares frequently do not believe in such man made news without fact finding. Well, to tell you the truth is that when the land you are standing on is shaking quite frequently, we begin to believe in any news or rumor when it comes to saving you own life. It could happen to anyone and even in well educated society.

Talking about education Nepal is still behind and it may take decades to catch up to developed countries, Everything takes time. When one does not have enough food to eat education becomes secondary but surely people of Nepal are getting to understand the value of education. Our initial effort was to provide immediate help but now we are focusing on school building projects. My father and other village members are working on renovating the schools in the village. I am still collecting funds but now something solid, which could last for a long time. Government may provide help but unsure of how much they will get but rest I will support from the fund that I have collected so far and the manpower will be provided by the villages. Currently I am concentrating on the school in my village and if I have leftover, will be distributed two other schools based on the availability.

Jyambeyang Primary School, my father help built this one.
Villages are still recovering from the damages and beginning to heal the scars from this calamity. It may take months even years to get over the fear of such destruction. My mother have not slept in the house since the day of big earthquake April 25th. She is one of many such individuals who have been affected in such scale. I cannot imagine how she felt when house she was standing on was moving like a boat in a rough water, though our house still standing and fine compared to others. I have some images of tent life in near my parents' house in the city.



Tent life seem normal when everyone in your community is living under such condition, on top Nepali people are resilient. They will accept any condition or situation and live with it. That could be their greatest strength in this situation as well as weakness. But I would rather consider as strength over weakness.
Before the tents
My mom with my sister's friend in front of her tent.
After the tents.

Purnima with her child and other people
My sister Nun with kids in tent.

Kids playing
These are some of the images taken by my nun sister, who just visited from Varanasi, India where she is doing her Buddhist studies. As you can see from the pictures that although living condition is poor and basic, people seem happy & kids are learning in tents. However, if the tremors continue, which still is. They may stay here longer. It is the monsoon season therefore it is going to be harder for them. Hopefully this will end soon and they could resume their normal life. I cannot imagine the fear one could have after such destruction.
My friend Rajendra Gajurel who and I were friends when we attended the school and are still friends tells me that village I spent 5 years of my life when we were attending school has to be relocated. The land has been deformed so badly that fear of landslide is so high. Cracks are deep and a lot of it, my friend from the village told on our skype conversation. He used to own a glass shop in the city of Kathmandu, which is completely shattered. Below 3 pictures are from him.
Glass shop my friend owned.
Village hut

No comments: